You’ve heard me talk about Gratitude Journaling in the past. Now I would like to take that idea a little bit further to get you to intentionally think about your contributions each day. In a new way of thinking we will list 3 good things that you did today. The key word being YOU. What did you do today that was good in some way.
This idea started because part of my nightly routine is listing 3 things to be grateful for. One day I was in a slump so I decided to go back and read some previous entries to get some fire back in my step. There were a lot of feeling grateful for time with Ripley (my dog), then I felt I should include Dimitri (my cat). Then there were listings for events, and things I noticed on a walk. Rarely were their reflections on the way that I contributed to the good of the day.
Honestly, this is really hard to do. It’s not easy to give credit to the things that you do. It’s not easy to call it out and identify what you did today that makes you proud. Document to the world your show of character that made a difference today. But it’s an important thing to do on our journey as we Design Your Plenty. Let’s start a list of ideas, so you see that these things can be small actions or big steps. It’s important to identify the things that you do to make a difference. It can be something that helped you towards a goal, or taking time to help another person, or anything in between.
- Sending a card or letter to let someone to let them know you are thinking about them
- Baking cookies with a family member
- Adding a book to a free library stand in your neighborhood
- Making tea and sitting down to visit with someone
- Waving to someone as you pass them in your car
- Paying for the person behind you in the drive up lane as you get a morning coffee
- Sending a text or email of something funny to someone you haven’t talked to in a while
- Holding the door for the person behind you
- Give someone a compliment
- Pick up litter in a park or beach
- Donate to a charity (clothes, household good, or money)
- Plant a tree
- Make someone laugh
There are so many things that you could include in your list. Please let us know what things you can think of in the comments below. I know that if you start thinking about 3 good things that you did today you are going to be surprised at how even an ordinary day can bring positivity into the world. And when you feel good about yourself, that will keep you going for a long time to come! I hope you start writing down your 3 good things that you did today on a regular basis.