Get a good night’s sleep is a great recommendation. Sleep is important for our physical health, it is important in the healing process, improves our concentration, keeps our immune system strong, and can even enhance our memory skills. However, getting to sleep, and then staying asleep, can be tough for us. Sometimes we have trouble sleeping for a short term reason, others struggle with this most nights. So let’s talk about 10 tips that can help to improve your sleep.
10 tips to get a good night’s sleep
- Take a shower before bed – One way to get to sleep easier is to lower your body’s core temperature. When you take a shower before bedtime, you will notice that you feel chilly as you are toweling off. This is your body cooling down after a warm, relaxing shower.
- Turn down the thermostat – Sleeping in a cooler room will make sleep more comfortable. Try to hit a temperature between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit for the best sleeping conditions.
- Try using a weighted blanket – Using a weighted blanket can help you to relax, de-stress and relieve anxiety by using a form of deep pressure touch which releases serotonin and dopamine, 2 neurotransmitters that help the body to relax.
- Drink fresh cherry juice before bedtime – Drinking a glass of fresh cherry juice has been found to add nearly 1 and a half hours of sleep according to research in the American Journal of Therapeutics. Be sure that it is fresh cherry juice, the processed drinks contain lots of added sugar and that can be detrimental to your sleep.
- Eat a banana before bedtime – If cherry juice isn’t your thing, try eating a banana. Studies have found that when you eat a banana your time between hitting the pillow and actually dozing off are reduced significantly.
- Determine your sleep position – There are 6 types of sleep positions; fetal (on your side and curled up), yearner (on your side, arms are out stretched), log (on your side in a straight line position), soldier (on your back in a straight line position), starfish (on your back, arms and legs outwards), and free fall (on your stomach, sprawled out). Once you know your sleep position you will be able to get the best pillow for the type of sleeper that you are.
- Using lavender in your bedroom – People who smell lavender for 10 minutes over a half hour period of time experience deeper sleep and awaken with increased energy in the morning. You can use sachets of lavender, a diffuser using essential oil, room sprays, etc.
- Write a to-do list at night – If you find your mind racing, and trying to figure out what you need to accomplish tomorrow and how you are going to do it…get in the habit of writing a to-do list before you go to bed. When you write down you list, you are releasing it from your mind, and then you can get a good night’s sleep.
- Write down 3 things that you are grateful for – While you are doing your to-do list, make a second entry that are 3 things that were good about your day. Taking the time to think of the positives in your life will help you to round out the day in a happy mood and get to sleep faster.
- Stretching before bed – As our muscles tense up throughout the day, this can carry over to our sleep and cause us to wake up in the middle of the night. Take a few minutes to do some gentle stretches and relax your body for optimal sleep.
If you have any other sleep suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below. I hope that this tips will help you out, and have a restful night’s sleep tonight and every night.