I love the start of spring, but the idea of spring cleaning is not my favorite thing to do. These are the days that I wish fairy wands really were available to help us out! Alas, that isn’t a reality quite yet, so here is a list of shortcuts that will help you to get through the deep clean of your house to kick off the spring season.
- Clean from top to bottom – This will help you to avoid doing the same job twice. So tackle the ceiling fan, then take down the curtain and clean the blinds, spot wash the walls, and finally you will get to washing the floor.
- Run appliances while you clean – Run an empty dishwasher cycle with vinegar or baking soda, deep clean your coffee maker, defrost your fridge, run an empty load through the washing machine etc while you are cleaning in that area. You’ll get through things twice as fast.
- Use multi-purpose cleaning supplies – Instead of carting around a cleaning caddy, use a bottle of multi-purpose cleaner and you can use on multiple surfaces as you go around the room. Microfiber cloths are also a great multi-use item, you can use them wet or dry and then clean them in the washing machine.
- Give time for cleaners to work – Speaking of cleaning supplies, be sure to give them time to let them WORK for you. Spray on the cleaner and let them sit for a few minutes (follow the manufacturer guidelines) while you do an area in close proximity. Spray ahead of time as you are cleaning so you can keep things moving along.
- Trash, Donate, or put it back in its place – If you find items that don’t belong in the room you are cleaning, it’s a great time to clean up the room as you are spring cleaning. Having a trash (or recycling) bag, and a donation box in each room as you clean will make it easy to take care of things right then and there.
- Distract yourself – Listen to some music, enjoy listening to a great audio book, or use a scented cleaner that makes you want to keep cleaning. It’s okay to give yourself a little added incentive to keep you moving while doing spring cleaning.
I hope these tips will help you to make the most of your time while spring cleaning. And take heart, my next article will be a review on a new book called Decluttering at the Speed of Life. It has some great down to earth ideas on how to declutter your home. So if you feel like your house isn’t ready for a deep clean quite yet, stay tuned for Wednesdays article to get you on the path to improve the home you love.