Grow in the Dark by Lisa Eldred Steinkopf is a great beginner book if you want to add something alive in your home. Not ready for a pet, but yearning to have something that you can take care of in your life, she will take you step by step through the right way to choose a plant that you will succeed with and enjoy. No matter what your confidence level is, you will feel like a pro when you get through with this book.
Grow in the Dark Chapters
- Introduction - You can have a green thumb, and enjoy the benefits of having live plants in your home environment. Yes, plants can remove harmful chemicals in our air. They are called VOCs or volatile organic chemicals. Not only will they add elegance to your home, but you'll learn the other benefits that plants can create.
- Illumination - She goes through all the options of light in a room (south, east, north and west) and describes the type of sunshine you can expect, and what that will mean for your plants. No more excuse if you don't have access to a nice sunny window, this section will tell you what you need to make it work.
- Hydration and Vitamins - How much to water can make the health of your plant. This book walks you though what you need to know and shows you different examples of direct and indirect watering. Gone from home a lot, she has you covered with ways to wick-water your plants so they thrive when you are gone. Feeding and atmosphere are also covered so you are well educated to get your plants.
- Maintenance - Once you have your plants in place and they have started to get use to their new environment, you'll get all the information you will need to keep your plants healthy and strong for the long run.
- Plant Profile - This is the really fun part of the book. A color picture of each plant she suggests, and a easy graphic way to see what kind of light they thrive in and how much water they love. Everything from heartleaf philodendron to fairy washboard you will have all the details of each plant; botanical name, light, water, flowers, size, propagation, cultivars, and even pet safety.
Grow in the Dark is full of beautiful photography to get you inspired and ready to move new plants into your home and enjoy them for year to come. No matter how much, or how little you know about growing houseplants, this book will have information to make your green thumb something to be proud of.
Disclosure: Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - Cool Springs Press for providing me with a complimentary copy of this e-book for review purposes. No other compensation was received, and all opinions are my own.